Monday, September 2, 2013

CLUSTER OF KNOWLEDGE 

When life is boring write your own story.
     Journalism. What is journalism? < Rhetoric. Life. What is life? < Repetition.
     I don't know if I could call it an epiphany, but I definitely had some sort of new insight on the reality of the power of words after my first ever college class. The first thing my teacher says to us, for my rhetoric argumentative writing class, is "Do not write me something you think I'll give you an A for, just f***ing write what you think should be heard. I'm divorced, if he couldn't make me happy neither can you. Oh - and if profanity isn't your thing, this isn't the class for you." At this point I was not exactly sure what to think. I was definitely cracking up because it just seemed so ridiculous to hear a teacher saying these things, but at the same time I began to really respect her from that moment on. Finally a teacher who is genuine.
     Words can go so many different directions. Words can be the best gift you could ever possibly give or receive. Or words can be used as a weapon, they can feel more painful than physically being jabbed. This makes journalism such a diverse and fun major. This lesson makes journalism feel more important to me than people put it out to be. Although I am specifically planning on sports journalism, this first class made me want to change the world through language. As crazy as that sounds, words are more powerful than we give them credit for.
     Grouping words together in writing, speaking, song, etc. is a cluster of knowledge. My next journalism-related class, Principles of Mass Media, made me so excited to become an artist through writing. Some people paint, others write/play music, I write. We dissected a story and my professor continuously pointed out certain writing techniques that most English teachers would tell you to not do.
     Like writing one sentence paragraphs.
     And starting sentences with "and". But these things make writing unique. Fun. (Oh, and one word sentences aren't allowed either). Oops.
    I guess my point of this whole thing is to share my thoughts on the capability and influence of words. It is so exhillerating to get ideas across through the clustering of letters into words of your choosing to paint a portrait of your thoughts for everyone to see. The words you choose are your colors, the style of writing is your type of paint. To you, this may seem like a cluster of a bunch of pointless words and an irrelevant opinion that does not make sense, but to me it's my most recent masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment