Sunday, September 15, 2013

GAME DAY
        I have been hearing "there is nothing like a Husker game" for so long now that the anticipation was getting unbearable. Finally I attended my first Big Red football game three weeks ago. 
Just walking into the stadium you could feel the sense of family coming from the fans simply because you had the common thought in wearing red. Let me back up a few hours to the tailgate. I walked to "the bottoms" (little, run down houses that are perfect for college-kid parties) with a sophomore from my sorority. Did I mention it was 100 degree with 60% humidity? Ya. I thought I was dying. Anyway - we finally reached the house and were just about the last ones there. We arrived at 1 o'clock and the game started at 7. People were there since 8 am. Sorry, but I just cannot do that. We had our very own DJ and everything. BP in one corner, dancing in the center, and ice luges in the other corner. At one point, my friend ran up to me and said "this next song is for you!" as we were dancing. The next song came on, and what other song but "California Gurls" by Katy Perry right? She, along with others, started screaming and pointing at me until eventually all the people around us were staring at me confused. Then one, pretty intoxicated, kid said "hey aren't you from California?" Long story short, it was a good time. Pretty crazy, but super fun.
Now began the walk across the bridge and to the stadium. I was finally receiving the honor of being part of the "sea of red". As I looked around at all the ecstatic fans to reach their seats, I felt so at home away from home. It was awesome. We reached the gate we were entering and on it said "Through these gates pass the greatest fans in college football" and I didn't doubt that for a second. To anyone who is not a Husker fan that is reading this, I am not ragging on you at all! It is just a totally different feeling to be part of this camaraderie. 
We find great seats in the student section and get there just in time for the famous tunnel walk. The entire team walks together out of the locker room, down the red carpet, hits the lucky horse shoe, one senior holds the flag in front, and out of the gates they walk onto the field to the most excited crowd of people I've experienced. We love the team and they love us. As the team is running onto the field, and the crowd is emerging making the stadium the second largest city in Nebraska, I took a moment to take it all in and scan every inch of the stadium knowing I'd want to write about it later. No picture does it justice. There isn't anyone who is not smiling, cheering, jumping up and down, laughing, having a good time and not wearing red.
One thing about Nebraska, besides the entire state being fans , is that it is the classiest group of fans I have encountered. I know I am a Nebraska fan so it may seem biased, but that wasn't always the case. I have witnessed some poor sportsmanship from other teams - nothing beats Nebraska's welcoming, homey attitude even to the opponent. 
It is extremely hard to put into words this experience, it is really something you have to try for yourself. If I were you, I'd add "go to a Husker football game" to your bucket list. Oh…and Go Big Red.

No comments:

Post a Comment